Your bedroom should be a sanctuary, and creating an oasis of peace and escape is not dependent upon size. When decorating a small bedroom, there are many ways of creating a serene and beautiful place in which to relax and unwind. Stay away from furniture that is too big and bulky, favoring pieces that are sized appropriately for your space. Choose each decorative piece with care, buying only items that you find beautiful, functional, or hopefully both. Remember that in a small bedroom, less is more.
6 Ideas for Decorating a Small Bedroom
- Decorate Underfoot – Regardless of whether your bedroom has carpeting, hardwood floors, or tile, a fantastic area rug is a great way to add beauty and warmth to a small bedroom. It’s an easy way to add color and make the room’s theme feel cohesive without taking up valuable space. Choose a rug that coordinates with your bedding and wall color while adding interesting detail to the space.
- Beautiful Bedding – Choosing fantastic bedding is one of the best ways to decorate your small space. You have to have bedding anyway, and it will be one of the most prominent things you see in a small room, so it should be both comfortable and lovely. Choose colors that are soothing, not loud, and coordinate your bedding with the other decorative details in your room.
- Deck the Walls – Instead of choosing a lot of nick-knacks that take up valuable surface space that is probably in short supply, opt for some well-placed artwork or photographs on the walls. I’m a big fan of keeping family photos out of the bedroom. They’re wonderful in shared rooms, but your bedroom should be all about you.
- Plants and Fresh Flowers – Fresh flowers are a great way to add a nice touch to your bedroom. A nice bonus is that if you have a vase containing fresh flowers on your dresser or nightstand at all times, it acts as a great deterrent to stacking clutter on these surfaces. If you’re not that into fresh flowers or don’t have the funds to continuously replace them, choose a plant instead.
- Twinkle Lights – Twinkle lights add a whimsical, magical glow to small bedrooms, and they don’t take up space. Wrap them around windowsills, your headboard, or anywhere else you think they’d look good.
- Candles – Candles, like plants, discourage the collection of clutter on dressers and nightstands. That is, as long as you don’t allow them to become clutter. If you have them, use them! Don’t save them for special occasions. Instead, use them to turn your time in your bedroom into a special occasion in and of itself. Ambiance matters, and candles are the perfect mood lighting for both romance and relaxation.
By creating a cozy atmosphere in your bedroom, it serves as an invitation to rest and leave the day behind you. By eliminating clutter and distraction, you give your mind a reprieve from the demands and responsibilities of your waking hours. Minimalist decorating doesn’t have to be spartan or bland. Make your bedroom beautiful and enjoy the sanctuary of small.