Ask any home decorator how to make the most of a small home and they will be able to rattle off a laundry list of ways to use illusion, color, furniture and decor tips that can make the space appear larger than it actually is. If you aren’t amongst the folks who can afford the services of an interior decorator, you can totally do the job yourself. Check out these cool ideas for easy ways to make the most of your square footage.
10 Cool Ideas for Making a Small Space Look Bigger
- Get the Right Furniture – Avoid overstuffed armchairs and behemoth dining tables. Look for space saving pieces that have sleek designs and are proportionately correct for the room.
- Shelve It – Tall bookcases and wall mounted shelving units can add a ton of extra storage space without taking up a lot of room.
- Fresh and Fab Curtains – Go for sheers to let in the light, and choose colors and patterns that are bright and interesting. Remember to go for length. The longer the drapes, the more vertical illusion you will create.
- Arrange and Rearrange – Rearrange your furniture to create seating clusters or work stations. Move things around until you figure out what works. It is entirely possible to keep the same amount of furniture in a room and either shrink or expand it visually by changing placement.
- Accessorize – While it’s true that you don’t want to clutter up a small space with too many nick-knacks, don’t avoid accessorizing altogether. You can actually make a room appear larger and more pulled together with correctly appointed accessories. Go for great lamps, a vase with fresh flower, a few candles, and some artwork on the walls.
- Storing and Stowing – Tuck away objects you don’t need to have out. This cuts down on clutter and great baskets, storage ottomans, crates, and jars can be a great addition to your decor.
- Mirror, Mirror – You know the saying smoke and mirrors? Ditch the smoke, but keep the mirrors to create the illusion you’re looking for.
- Let the Sun Shine In – Natural lighting is a dear friend of small spaces. Don’t block your windows. Flooding a room with light makes it look and feel airy and spacious.
- Pick Your Palette – When painting and decorating, going for a monochromatic theme in light, bright colors opens up a room and makes it look much larger than it actually is.
- Go on a Decluttering Rampage – Be ruthless. Banish excessive decorative objects and file or destroy loose papers.
Don’t be afraid to play around with your space. While you will probably want to be more cautious when making decisions that cost a lot to change (such as painting and furniture purchases), rearranging furniture and decorative objects is free and it’s fun. If something isn’t working for you, switch it up! You can change the entire look and feel of a room by rearranging. It might take a bit of effort, but in time, you will have a place for everything and everything it its place for the spacious look you’re longing for.